White bread croutons are toasted in ghee, tossed with an onion-tomato masala, and blanketed with a layer of egg.
- 2 Tbs - Ghee or Butter, unsalted
- 1 Tbs - Vegetable Oil
- 4 slices - Sandwich Bread
- 1 - Yellow Onion (300g) medium, finely diced
- 2 - Thai or Serrano Chilis, finely chopped
- 2 - Roma Tomatoes (160g), finely diced
- 1/2 tsp - Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Coriander Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp - Kosher Salt, plus more to taste
- 2 - Eggs, beaten
- 1 Tbs - Lemon Juice
- (Optional) Cilantro for garnish
- Cut crusts off bread and cut each slice into 12 squares using a serrated knife. You should have a total of 48 squares of bread.
- Melt 1 Tbs of ghee in a large skillet. Add half of your bread squares and toast on both sides until golden brown. Remove the bread from the pan and toast the remaining bread squares with another 1 Tbs of ghee. Set bread squares aside.
- In the same pan on medium heat, add oil, chopped onions, and chilis. Sauté ingredients for 2-3 minutes until the onion softens and starts turning slightly brown.
- Add diced tomatoes, turmeric, coriander, cumin, and salt and stir to incorporate all the ingredients. Sauté for 3-5 minutes or until the tomatoes release their juices and lose their shape.
- Add the bread cubes back into the onion-tomato masala. Pour the beaten eggs directly over the bread cubes and stir until the onion tomato masala and the egg envelop the bread and the egg is completely cooked.
- Plate the bread upma, drizzle with lemon juice, top with some chopped cilantro, and enjoy!
- Although the recipe specifies sandwich bread, you can use any leftover bread that you have lying around for this recipe!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Easy Bread Upma With Egg