What makes this recipe special?
This is a recipe that I created for those who don't like the pungent taste of raw red onion in their raita. I personally love the flavor that onion brings to raita, but I had an idea to showcase spring onions, which would still bring brightness to the raita without being too punchy. Thus the idea for a sour cream and spring onion raita dip was born. It combines my favorite aspects of the classic American sour cream and onion dip and the Indian yogurt raita.
Ingredients in this recipe
This dip has the tartness and lightness from Greek yogurt, the herbal heat from Thai chilis, and the earthiness from cumin that are all traits of a bright raita. The decadent aspects of this dip come from the thick and creamy sour cream. The greens of the spring onions are folded into the sour cream and yogurt raita for their freshness and the whites are sizzled in oil along with garlic to add sweetness and umami.
How to eat this dish
- Serve as dip with wavy salted potato chips. This is my favorite way to eat this dip. It is the best dip to serve at a Super Bowl party or any large gathering!
- Serve it with fresh veggies for a crudite board.
- Pair with grilled meats, chicken skewers, or kebabs.
- Serve alongside rice dishes like lemon rice.
- Add a bit of water to serve as a looser raita or as a salad dressing.