Indian Curd Rice with a spiced ghee tadka is the most creamy and comforting dish to spruce up that leftover rice in the fridge. It tastes extra decadent with whole-milk Greek yogurt and with a side of potato fry and mango pickle.
- 1/2 cup basmati rice uncooked or 1 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup Straus Organic Whole Milk Greek Yogurt Plain*
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 3 tablespoons ghee or butter
- 3/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ginger, freshly grated
- 1 fresno or Thai chili, finely chopped
- 5-10 curry leaves
- Chopped cilantro, as garnish (Optional)
- Toasted peanuts (Optional)
- If you are starting with cooked rice skip this step and proceed to step 2! Rinse rice in a bowl. Use your hands to swish the rice around and help release the starches which will rise to the top of the water. Drain the starchy water and repeat this process until the water is nearly clear while rinsing. Add rice and water to an instant pot or rice cooker and cook on the rice setting for 10-12 minutes. We intentionally add excess water to yield a rice that is slightly “overcooked” and is easily mashable.
- Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and allow it to cool. Add yogurt, whole milk, and salt to the rice and lightly mash and mix rice with other ingredients.
- Make ghee tadka: In a small saucepan heat ghee on medium heat. Add mustard seeds and cumin seeds to the ghee and sauté for ~1 minute or until the seeds start sizzling and popping in the ghee. Add ginger and chopped chilies and sauté for another 30 seconds or until the ginger gives off its aromatic scent. Add the curry leaves which will pop in the oil and immediately turn off the heat.
- Pour the tadka over the yogurt rice and thoroughly mix. Taste the yogurt rice and add additional salt to taste.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro and toasted peanuts and enjoy.
- Curd rice goes great with mango pickle as well as masala roasted potatoes.
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Lunch
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Indian Curd Rice with Tadka