Vengayam Thakkali Thokku is a delicious chunky onion and tomato chutney flavored with delicious South Indian spices like curry leaves, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and garlic! It is a perfect condiment that transports so well in lunch boxes and pairs so perfectly with rotis, dosas, and idlis.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 20-25 curry leaves
- 5 cloves of garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 red onion (300g), finely diced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 4 Roma tomatoes (450g), diced
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and curry leaves until they start releasing an aromatic scent and sizzling and dancing in the oil. Be careful not to burn the seeds and leaves or they will release a bitter taste!
- Add garlic, diced onion, sugar, and ½ teaspoon of salt. Sauté on medium heat until onions are softened and translucent, which will take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric powder, Kashmiri chili powder, sugar, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Sauté until all ingredients are incorporated. Allow the tomato and onion mixture to cook for 7-10 minutes, making sure to stir periodically, until the juices of the tomato release and evaporate. If the chutney sticks to the bottom of the pan, add a bit more oil and turn down the heat.
- Taste and adjust for salt. Serve as a side dish with rotis, dosas, or thayir sadam.
- You can find curry leaves at your local Indian grocery store. If you aren't able to source them for this recipe, simply omit it.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Chutney
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vengayam Thakkali Thokku (Chunky Onion Tomato Chutney)