Tender baby potatoes coated in a spice roasted tomato-onion masala.
- 1lb - Baby Gold potatoes
- 4-6 - Garlic Cloves - thinly sliced
- 1 - Red Onion (200g) - medium - finely chopped
- 1 - Tomato (120g) - finely chopped
- 1/4 cup - Kosher Salt - plus more to season
- 1-2 - Lemons - cut in halves for serving
- Cilantro - optional for garnish
- 1/4 tsp - Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1 Tbs - Cumin Powder
- 4-5 - Curry Leaves
- 1.5 Tbs - Kashmiri Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp - Sugar
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric
- Place baby potatoes in a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes. Add ¼ cup salt to the water and bring the salty potato bath to a boil. Having salted water ensures that your potatoes will be seasoned as they cook!
- Once water comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium-high to bring to a simmer, and boil potatoes until they are cooked and tender. This will take between 10-15 minutes. You can test if your potatoes are cooked by trying to pierce them with a fork. If you can pierce with little resistance, you know you are done. Drain the potatoes and set aside.
- Heat 2 Tbs oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and curry leaves to the oil until they start to sizzle and dance in the oil. This process, known as tempering the spices, imparts the flavors of the spices into the oil. Be careful not to burn your spices in this step, or your final product will be bitter.
- Bring heat up to medium, add garlic and onions to tempered oil, and sauté until onions soften and become translucent (about 4-5 minutes).
- Add tomatoes, the rest of the spices, and 1 tsp of salt. Mix to coat both the onions and the tomatoes in the spice blend. Add ½ cup of water to the tomato-onion mixture. Allow the water to evaporate and the raw tomato/masala flavor to be cooked out over 5-7 minutes. When you stir the mixture with the back of your spoon, it should leave a thick masala streak behind in the pan.
- Slice your baby potatoes in half. Turn pan to medium-high heat, add in potatoes and mix until the tomato onion mixture coats the potatoes.
- Leave potatoes in the pan for 10-12 minutes more for potatoes to form a deep mahogany red-brown masala crust on their edges. Add another 1- 2 Tbs of oil to the pan partway through the cooking process to release the roasting masala from the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat and squeeze a generous amount of lemon juice from one lemon over the potatoes.
- Taste, adjust for salt, and garnish with remaining lemon and chopped cilantro.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 40
Keywords: masala roast potatoes