Khajur burfi is an Indian date and nut roll that has no added sugars but is naturally sweetened by dried fruit. It has crunchy nuts like pistachios, slivered almonds, and walnuts, which makes it the perfect snack for a long hike or a great sugar-free dessert.
- 15 medjool dates (290 grams), pitted
- 2 tablespoons unsalted ghee
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup (32 grams) walnuts, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup (36 grams) roasted and salted pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1 tablespoon white poppy seeds, or finely ground pistachios
- In a food processor, pulse the pitted dates into a coarse paste.
- In a medium pan on medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of ghee along with the slivered almonds, walnuts, and pistachios. Toast the nuts with the ghee until they become golden brown. Make sure to constantly stir to prevent burning. Remove the nuts from the pan and set aside.
- To the same pan, add the remaining ghee and cardamom powder and mix until combined. Add the blitzed dates and stir the date and ghee mixture until the dates soften from the heat. Once softened, add the nuts and fold them into the date mixture.
- Transfer the date mixture onto a piece of parchment paper. Allow the date mixture to cool enough to touch, and roll it with the help of the parchment paper into a 6 inch long log. Unwrap the parchment paper and spread poppy seeds along the length of the log. Roll the log over the poppy seeds until they adhere to the outside of the khajur burfi.
- Cover and chill the khajur burfi in the fridge for 20-30 minutes so it will cut cleanly. Using a serrated knife, cut 1/4 inch discs across the log with sawing motions resulting in approximately 24 discs. Khajur burfi can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or tightly covered in the freezer for months.
- Instead of shaping the burfis into discs, you can shape them into date balls instead!
- Khajur burfis can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 weeks or tightly covered in the freezer for months.
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Khajur Burfi (Indian Date and Nut Roll)