These crispy oven baked Indo-Chinese chicken Manchurian wings are a spicy and saucy appetizer that are a hit at parties and require no frying!
- 2.5 teaspoons of baking powder
- 2.5 teaspoons of cornstarch
- 2.5 teaspoons of kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder or 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2.5 pounds of chicken wings
- Cooking oil spray
Manchurian Sauce Ingredients
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ginger root, grated
- 1 fresno or thai chili, minced (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder or 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Green onions, finely chopped for garnish (Optional)
- In a small bowl mix the baking powder, cornstarch, kosher salt, Kashmiri chili powder, garlic powder, and sugar to form a dry rub.
- Add the dry rub and chicken wings to a large bowl and coat and massage the dry rub onto the wings.
- Line a large baking tray with foil and place a wire rack on top of the lined baking tray. The aluminum foil is helpful later to catch the fat that drips from the wings and save cleanup but is optional and the wire rack is crucial to help the chicken get air circulation on all sides.
- Spread the chicken wings on the wire rack and refrigerate uncovered between 4-16 hours. Allowing the chicken to rest with the rub helps remove the excess moisture out the chicken to lead to crispy oven baked wings and allow the spices to season the meat.
- Preheat the oven to 450 Fahrenheit.
- Lightly spray the wings with cooking oil before placing them in the middle rack of the oven for 20 minutes. Flip the wings over and cook for another 15-20 minutes until the wings have a golden crispy exterior.
- Make the sauce: In a small saucepan on medium heat add butter and melt. Add mined garlic, grated ginger, and chopped fresno chilis to the butter and sautee for ~1 minute until the ginger and garlic softens in order to infuse the butter with the aromatics. If necessary add a tablespoon more butter if there isn't enough fat to coat the saucepan and sizzle the ginger and garlic in.
- Add ketchup, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and Kashmiri chili powder to the sauce and mix. Allow the sauce to simmer ~1-2 minutes and turn off the heat.
- Coat the wings in the sauce right before serving!
- Giving the chicken wings time to dry in the fridge is important for this recipe. It helps the spices penetrate and helps remove excess moisture from the chicken so it can crisp in the oven.
- Baking powder is important in this recipe as it helps the chicken wings crisp in the oven.
- Wings will loose crispiness once coated in sauce so it's important to coat in sauce right before eating. You can alternatively serve the sauce on the side.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 35
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Indo-Chinese Chicken Manchurian Wings Without Frying