Crispy Onion Rava (Semolina) Dosa is a quick and easy South Indian crepe to dunk into chutneys and sambars!
- 1/2 cup - Rice Flour (80g)
- 1/2 cup - Semolina or Sooji/Rava (95g)
- 1/4 cup - All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp - Ginger - fresh, finely grated
- 1/2 tsp - Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 tsp - Black Pepper - coarsely crushed
- 1/4 tsp - Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp - Sugar
- 1 tsp - Kosher Salt
- 3 cups - Water
- 1 - Onion, medium, finely chopped
- 2 - Thai or Fresno Chilies, finely chopped (optional, for additional heat)
- 1 - Bunch of Cilantro Leaves , finely chopped (optional)
- Oil or ghee as needed
Make Maavu (batter)
- Mix all the batter ingredients and let sit for 15-20 minutes so the semolina can hydrate.
- Mix the batter throughly and in between making dosas. The batter should be runny. You can add up to an additional cup of water to achieve a thin runny batter.
- Heat a large tava or nonstick skillet to medium heat.
- Sprinkle a handful of dosa additions evenly over your pan (amount is up to your preference).
- Ladle ~1/2 cup of batter from an elevated height from your pan. Move ladle in swift and confident motion across the pan to achieve a lacy and hole-y dosa.
- Evenly drizzle 1/2 Tbs oil or ghee over the dosa.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and let dosa crisp and brown for 3-4 minutes. No need to flip the dosa -- just fold and serve. Enjoy with chutney or sambar.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Crispy Onion Rava Dosa