Dahi puri is a crispy and saucy Indian street food snack. It's made by filling a crispy semolina ball with a chickpea and potato filling and drizzling it with a combo of sweet dahi (yogurt) and tamarind-date and cilantro-mint chutneys.
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, drained
- 3/4 cup russet potatoes, boiled, skin removed, and crushed into small pieces
- 1/4 cup red onions, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon chaat masala
- 1/4 teaspoon Kashmiri chili powder, plus more for sprinkling
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 24 store bought or homemade puris
- 1 cup dahi sauce for chaat
- ½ cup store-bought or homemade tamarind-date chutney
- ¼ cup store-bought or homemade cilantro-mint chutney
- (Optional) Sev (Chickpea snack)
- In a medium bowl add potatoes and drained chickpeas. Use a spoon to incorporate potatoes and chickpeas while lightly mashing the chickpeas.
- Add diced onions, chaat masala, Kashmiri chili powder, and salt and mix until all the ingredients are distributed evenly. Taste filling for seasoning and add more salt to taste
- Lightly tap a small hole on the top of the puri with your index finger. Gently fill ~2-3 teaspoons of potato/chickpea filling in each puri.
- Place about 6 puris on a plate. Drizzle ~1/4 cup of dahi per plate, along with ~2 tablespoons of tamarind-date chutney, and ~1 tablespoon of cilantro-mint chutney. Sprinkle the top with sev and eat immediately.
- Add the sauces to the dahi puri right before eating.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Chaat
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Crispy Dahi Puri Chaat