This chai spiced puffed millet granola has light and airy puffed millets, crunchy pepitas, coconut flakes, and tart dried apple slices, all of which are tossed in warm chai spices, sweetened with coconut sugar, and crisped with coconut oil to make a healthy granola perfect for your morning breakfast.
- 2.5 cups puffed millet
- 1 cup pepitas, unsalted
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1.5 teaspoons of chai masala
- 2/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup dried apple slices (50g), cut into strips with scissors
- Heat the oven to 325F. Line a 9x13 baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix puffed millets, pepitas, and coconut flakes. Set the dry ingredients aside.
- To a medium saucepan on medium heat, add water, coconut oil, chai masala, coconut sugar and sea salt and mix. Allow the sugar to melt and dissolve and the liquid to come to a rolling boil.
- Once the mixture comes to a rolling boil, turn off the heat, add baking soda, and whisk vigorously. The mixture will lighten in color and slightly rise.
- Pour warm mixture over the dry ingredients and mix to coat all the dry ingredients with the wet.
- Spread the mixture on the baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, making sure to stir at the halfway point until the mixture is deep golden brown. Mix in dried apple slices. Allow to cool completely. The granola will harden and form clusters as it cools. Serve with yogurt or milk.
- Make sure to buy unsweetened coconut flakes and not shredded coconut as the latter burns easily.
- Substitutes for coconut sugar are brown sugar or jaggery powder
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Chai Spiced Puffed Millet Granola with Coconut Sugar