Chai masala powder is an Indian tea spice mix made with a combination of warm spices like black peppercorn, cardamom, cinnamon, and fennel. This spice mix can be used to make masala chai or chai spiced desserts.
- 15 cardamom pods
- 1 (1 inch) cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon (~30) black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 teaspoons ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Toast cardamom, cinnamon, black peppercorn, and cloves over medium-low heat for ~2 minutes, or until the spices become fragrant and the oils from the spices start to release. Add fennel seeds to the pan and toast for another 30 seconds. Remove the spices from heat and allow to cool.
- Add all the toasted spices, ginger powder, and salt and grind using a spice grinder or mortar or pestle until the blend is a coarse powder. Store in an airtight container for up to 6 months.
- Checkout my recipe for masala chai that uses this homemade powder to craft a delicious tea.
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 5
- Category: Spice Blends
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Chai Masala Powder | Indian Tea Spice Mix