- 1 - Puff Pastry Sheet (Peppridge Farm) - (10” X 15” X 1/8”)
- 5 - Eggs, 4 whole, 1 beaten for egg wash
- 2 Tbs - Ghee (Neutral Oil will work as a substitute)
- 2 - Yellow Onions, medium (400g) - thinly sliced
- 4 - Green Onion Sprigs
- Handful - Cilantro, mint, or other herbs for garnish (Optional)
- 1/4 tsp - Turmeric
- 1 tsp - Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp - Coriander Powder
- 2 tsp - Kashmiri Chili Powder or 1.5 tsp of regular chili powder
- 1 tsp - Kosher Salt or 1/2 tsp table salt - plus more to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 10” x 15” Sheet Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Thaw the puff pastry according to the instructions on the box.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F and line a 10” x 15” baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat 1 Tbs of ghee in a large pan over medium heat until it melts and coats the pan.
- Add onions to the pan and stir until they are coated with ghee and glisten. Once onions are translucent, turn heat down to medium.
- Stir onions every minute or so until they have reduced in size by half and start taking on a light brown color. This should take approximately 8-10 minutes. but remember to rely on how the onions look rather than strictly the time estimate!
- Add in an additional 1 Tbs of ghee, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder, kashimiri chili powder, and salt. Sauté onions until they are coated in the spice mixture. Keep sautéeing onions until they have a deep caramelized color and the raw smell of the spices is gone. This should take about another 8-10 minutes.
- Once onions are cooked, turn off the heat and let them cool while working on your pastry.
Make and Bake Tarts
- Take a sheet of pastry dough, cut into four equally sized squares, and place on your baking sheet.
- Make a circular nest of onions in each square, leaving a 1 inch border so the puff pastry can rise to form an edge and space in the center for the egg to nestle into.
- Brush the borders of the squares with the egg wash and place the baking sheet in the middle rack of the oven for 10 minutes or until the puff pastry border has risen like a wall around the onions.
- Take squares out of the oven. Carefully crack one egg in a small bowl. Use your hand or a spoon to gently separate the egg yolk from the white and and nestle the yolk in the center of the onion nest. Slowly pour the egg white into your pastry square, leaving behind some of the white if you think it will overflow.
- Season eggs with salt and cracked pepper. Repeat for the other three pastries.
- Carefully place the pastries with the eggs back in the oven and cook until the eggs are cooked to your liking. For a runny egg it can take between 5-7 minutes but continue to monitor the eggs every 2-3 minutes and rotate your baking pan halfway through for even cooking of your eggs.
- Remove the tarts from the oven and sprinkle the green onions and fresh herbs on top. Enjoy!
- The back of the oven is usually hotter than the front of the oven, so make sure to turn your tarts half way through to get all the eggs cooked at the right time
- You can make your caramelized onions up to three days before you plan on using them for the tarts
- Scooping the egg yolk in your hand can help you center and nestle the egg carefully into the puff pastry.
- Prep Time: 20
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Masala Caramelized Onion Breakfast Tarts